Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Quinoa Steel Cut Oatmeal - 4 points

Good morning!

I've been so busy I haven't had time to post. I actually have two recipes saved in my drafts that I haven't completed, but we'll get to those soon. I wanted to share what I made for breakfast this morning because it's easy, delicious, packed with protein, and comes in at only 4 points per serving (and that's including the butter and brown sugar)!

I've had pre-made frozen Quinoa Steel Cut Oats before, and wanted to try it myself. How hard could it actually be, right? Right! Here's what you'll need:

1/4 cup quick cooking Steel Cut Oats
1/4 cup White Quinoa (or whatever kind you have or like)
1 tsp butter or SmartBalance (both are  just 1 point)
1 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
4 tsp brown sugar

Yields: 2 servings

So, here we go, super simple. Bring your cup of water and half cup of almond milk to a boil (I find that adding milk makes it a little creamier, but if you'd prefer, just do a cup and a half of water) with one tsp of butter, for a little more flavor.

Quinoa is a grain that has the same amount of carbs as rice, but it's packed with protein, which makes it a great addition to breakfast cereal. It has a bitter outer coating, so rinse it in the sink first. Add in your quinoa and simmer for about 7 or 8 minutes. Then, bring it back to a boil and add the oats in. Simmer for 7 or 8 more minutes.

While it's cooking, stir in your pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar. I really like pumpkin pie spice, and I think it makes things taste like pumpkin without having actual pumpkin in it. And Fall means pumpkin spice EVERYTHING, as this cute cartoon illustrates:


In any event, you can add cinnamon or nutmeg or whatever spice you like. Then, just wait until it's thick and creamy and all of the liquid has been absorbed and let it sit for a minute or so to cool. I just finished mine and I feel ready to take on the day! Cheesy? Maybe so... hey... maybe I can make it with grated cheddar cheese sometime! With a little parm on top... well, I'm getting ahead of myself. For now, Happy Fall! It's time to start enjoying some hot cereal, and I hope you enjoy this one!



No comments:

Post a Comment