Thursday, October 3, 2013

Butternut Squash Pie - 5 points per pie

Does it shock you that I came home from London with a bunch of recipes I wanted to try out? Britain, while known for many things, is not typically lauded for its cuisine, save perhaps for Fish and Chips. And pies. It's definitely known for pies. They put nearly anything we might serve alone on a plate inside fluffy pastry. And this entry is my take on one of the pies I had in London: a Butternut Squash pie. And I think you'll be surprised at how few points this delicious and rich-tasting pie comes out to!


You are going to see other pies as I continue creating recipes with this blog. In part because I like pie a lot and wish Americans would serve their lunches and dinners in pies more often. And in part because, in a fit of what must have been some sort of fever, I ordered the "My Lil' Pie Maker" (yes, the apostrophe is in the wrong place) from Publisher's Clearing House on a curious day when I was wondering what my chances of winning $5,000 a week for life might be.

And I finally got the chance to try it out!

First off, and this makes a world of difference, I used Trader Joe's frozen pie crust, which is one of the tastiest pie crusts I've ever had. You can use any pie crust you like, and if you have a Weight Watchers friendly pie crust recipe, I'd love to know about it! Here's what else you'll need:

About 1 cup cubed butternut squash
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp fresh sage
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 oz crumbled goat cheese
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp corn starch
Egg white wash

First, put the cubed butternut squash into 400 degree oven with a little cooking spray and some salt and pepper to taste. These will roast up while you make the gravy.

And so, onto the gravy! Begin by heating your coconut oil and stirring the corn starch in to create a roux. This will be the base for the gravy filling of the pie. Roughly chop the sage and stir the sage, thyme and nutmeg into the roux. Keep it simmering for a while until everything's incorporated and your kitchen smells like autumn.

Your butternut squash doesn't have to be in  the oven for too long, because it's gonna go back in soon. Get your pie crust into the four trays and brush the edges down with a little egg white. Then separate your butternut squash into the pies. Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese in and then pour the gravy over the top, making sure to get it into the crevices.

Cover the pies and brush egg white over the crust topping. Pop it into the 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Depending on your oven, you may need to turn the pies to make sure they all cook equally. Once the tops of the pie are beautifully golden brown and glistening, take them out, let them cool, and enjoy!


P.S. I will be back with an edit to this recipe, once I get my hands on a certain delicious seasonal item at Trader Joe's. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment