Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Synthia Link's Mean Green Protein Machine - 5 points

This is going to be the first time I post a recipe directly from someone else. I will do this from time to time because when I see an amazing recipe and I want to know how many WW points are in it--especially when it turns out to be delicious and really low in points--I also want to share it with you.

Synthia Link is currently wowing Broadway audiences in Big Fish. She's also been featured in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. And as if that's not impressive enough, she also writes a flexitarian food blog, and does a much better job about updating hers than I do mine. This is a recipe I saw on her blog, Cookies to Kale. I made it for my girlfriend, who loves shrimp, broccoli, and goat cheese, and is developing an appreciation for quinoa. So this recipe sounded perfect!

I'm gonna post the ingredients right here, but Synthia is much better at explaining her own recipe, especially since I did not have everything I needed when I made it myself. So I'll post a link (a Synthia Link... see what I did there?) to her Mean Green Protein Machine recipe.

Here's what you'll need:
6 frozen or fresh shrimp
Roasted butternut squash
1 clove minced garlic
1-2 stalks chopped green onion
Broccoli, spinach and kale (as much or as little as you would like!)
1/3 cup black beans
1/4 cup quinoa
2 TBS goat cheese
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup milk of choice
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Fresh chopped rosemary

Here's what I love most about this recipe: spinach, broccoli, and kale all have 0 points! (I don't know if you can tell, but that's a capslock 0 for emphasis!) You can add as much of this as you want to the dish, which can stretch it as far as you'd like or need. More servings, fewer points. When I made it, I got about four servings out of it coming to 5 points per serving.

Here's what mine looked like:



If you like healthy food that has a fun twist--and let's face it, you're reading this, so you must--then you should definitely read Cookies to Kale, as well. Chances are, Synthia will make something else that will pique my interest and after I make it for my dinner, I'll tell you what the WW points are. So you'll definitely see more of her recipes here!

No comments:

Post a Comment